Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Go-to Taco Mix

The air is cool and crisp and I have a lot of afternoon errands to run. Not the least of which is to go and vote. So here is my two second PSA...

Exercise your freedom and vote. If not for the pride and sense of accomplishment, do it for the snazzy sticker!

But I digress...

I have my absolute favorite soup simmering in the slow cooker, the Chicken Taco Soup from an old post. The recipe calls for taco seasoning, and I realized that I was short one of those handy-dandy (and pricey, for what you get) packages of taco seasoning. So here is an easy recipe for homemade taco seasoning. I have used it before and honestly can not tell the difference:

Go-to Taco Mix (easily doubled or tripled, so you can keep extra on hand for the next time)

1 T chili powder
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper or hot chili powder
1/4 t oregano
1 t paprika
1 1/2 t ground cumin
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper

Now go and create your fiesta!

3 comments:

Deep in the Heart said...

Thanks. I'm not always a fan of the packaged mix since there's a ton of salt. I always add more cumin too. I love the stuff. Just stand in the pantry and smell it every once in a while.

Deep in the Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Desi said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I made your taco lasagna and your taco mix! I just blogged about the taco mix on my blog, check it out if you like! We LOVED this lasagna! Perfect for Cinco de Mayo. The taco lasagna recipe is coming soon on my blog :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/05/homemade-taco-mix-for-cinco-de-mayo.html