Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

A quick message from my two Sweet Peas:(Update--Just picked R up at preschool. Almost every Valentine he got came with chocolate, candy, etc. I feel like a V day scrooge because I just did cards...is this how it is everywhere?)

Here is a recipe I made this week and remembered just how much I *love* it. I lightened an original to make it healthier and more heart healthy. My older sweet pea is actually eating salad lately and he likes this one a lot.

A great side for a big gathering, or for your family.

Napa Asian Slaw

1/3 c cider vinegar
¼ c sugar
2 T canola oil
2 T honey
2 T low-sodium soy sauce
1 T olive oil
¼ c slivered almonds
¼ c sunflower seeds
1 (5-ounce) package curly soba noodles (or use ramen, without flavor pack), crumbled
8-10 c shredded napa cabbage
1 bag of shredded carrots, roughly chopped
1 c thinly sliced shallot or scallion

Combine cider vinegar, sugar, oil, honey and soy sauce in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes and stir.

In a small sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add almonds, sunflower seeds, and noodles to toast, stirring constantly. Once you see the mixture turning golden, remove from heat.

In a very large bowl, add the cabbage, carrots and shallot. About 15-30 minutes before you are ready to serve the salad, toss the dressing and noodle/nut mixture with the cabbage.

Serves 12 (can easily be halved, but in our house, we end up eating it all)

4 comments:

Steel Magnolia said...

Don't worry, I just did cards too (and I let H pick them out. Of course, he picked the "Cars" ones). When he got home, there was candy attached to all of them. Someone did do those tiny containers of playdoh and I thought that was a cute idea. Happy V Day sweet pea family!

Slacker Mama said...

We just did Dora cards for both kiddos. E got some yesterday (b/c some kids come MWF or T/Th) and she got one lollipop but the rest were just cards. I'm hoping that today's haul are just cards as well.

Deep in the Heart said...

They got tons of candy, which they keep finding!! One tub of playdough and a few pencils. Rachel graciously let Jake have her Spiderman pencil.

Anonymous said...

This was so good. We had dinner quests tonight. I served the salad with your lettuce wraps and brown rice and stir-fried broccoli. My husband said,"That salad was really good. I ate more of it than I thought I would." We finished the meal with Eddy's slow churn ice cream rolled into balls and covered in crushed cinnamon cereal and chocolate syrup.

Renee