Monday, February 4, 2008

Monday Musings...and Meals for the Week

"Mommy, what will happen to me when I get old?"

My four year old Sweet Pea posed this question to me as we were readying some paper goods for the recycling bin.

Since we had been talking about school earlier that day I replied, "Well, when you get older you will go to elementary school."

"No mommy. What will happen to me when I get *really* old?"

Again I answered him, "you may grow up and have a family and children, just like mommy and daddy."
"No mommy. What will happen to me when I get *really, really* old?"

Trying to figure out where he was going with this questioning I searched my head for a quick, appropriate, non-threatening answer. I quickly realized what he was getting at as I loaded the bin with some more old boxes we had broken down.

We had recently been to the local science museum and seen how "old" paper, plastics, glass and aluminum are broken down into small pellets and turned into new items. Hmm...not sure if I want to open a big can of worms this close to dinner time.

I decided to go with the simply brilliant response a seasoned mother once shared with me. She said whenever her children posed questions which, if answered, may be more than they (or she) could handle at the moment she would respond,

"What do you think will happen?"

Generally, on the limited occasions when I have had to ask this question, he gives a sweet 4-year-old, "I don't know!" response and then continues on with his day.

Issue closed...for now.

Switching gears--

Mondays I like to have an idea of the meals we will have for the week so I can get most, or preferably all, the food we need for the week.

Here are our Sweet Pea Meals for the week:
Cod with Tomatoes, Olives and Capers (R is on a *huge* olive kick lately)
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
Quesadillas and Taco Salad
Canadian Cheese Soup with Pumpernickel Croutons
Freezer Night (Generally Veggie Burgers or Leftovers)

What's cooking at your house?

12 comments:

Deep in the Heart said...

We made a crocpot recipe for chulupas yesterday, but didn't feel like eating it. Brian made ribs on Sunday so I guess it was too much pork. Tonight is our Mardi Gras dinner - not quite up to our Supper Club menu, but still yummy. We felt like doing a mock Thanksgiving dinner one night and I think we'll do grilled cheese and tomato soup one night. Brian and I are going to a cooking class on Saturday night - The Tuscan Table - Amore! for an early Valentine's Day. Can't wait.

Slacker Mama said...

We had leftover chili last night. We're doing pasta jambalaya (old Cooking Light recipe) one night and homemade chicken tenders one night. And either another pasta dish or homemade pizza the other night.

I got flustered at The Teets when they didn't have the meat I wanted and so this week isn't as well-planned as I would like.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Ok...so Jenn, can I have that Slow Cooker Chalupa recipe? Pretty please? Just email it to me in your copious free time.

SM--I know you have said you are not that hot on Trader Joe's, but since you mentioned the homemade pizza, they have the *best* premade dough that comes in plain, herb or whole wheat. It costs 89 cents each.

Thanks for sharing your menu ideas!

Slacker Mama said...

I've heard about their dough before. Maybe I'll swing by this weekend and give TJs another shot.

Speaking of slow cooker recipes, I just made carnitas the other night in the slow cooker -- super easy! And the leftovers were then turned into pulled pork BBQ. Gotta love a multi-tasking recipe.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Ooh yum. I would love the Carnitas recipe too. It combines two things I absolutely love--tex mex and the slow cooker.

Deep in the Heart said...

The Chalupa recipe is from Southern Living (chalupa dinner bowl - oct 05). Here's the link, let me know if it doesn't go through.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1108226

Sweet Pea Chef said...

The link works...yum. Thanks!

Steel Magnolia said...

we're having scallops with whole wheat penne in a homemade tomato sauce one night, pan-seared halibut with sauteed garlic and shallots in olive oil, green beans, and butternut squash risotto another night, chinese potstickers with chicken and spring rolls one night. I want the carnitas recipe slacker mama!!!

Slacker Mama said...

Carnitas: Take a Boston Butt (heh), trim the fat and salt and pepper it. Cut slits all over it and insert (about 4 cloves or so) garlic cut into quarters.

Slice an onion and put that and a whole jalepeno on the bottom of the crockpot. Throw in your garlic-studded Butt and a can of beer. Turn on LOW and cook for about 10 hours. Shred the pork and serve with corn tortillas and guacamole.

We took the leftovers (there were tons!) and threw them in a non-stick skillet with enough BBQ sauce to generally coat. We heated that on medium until warmed through. Pretty tasty, though we used your basic BBQ and John thought it would have been better with a Carolina (vinegar-based) sauce.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Thanks for sharing. That sounds awesome.

JerseyBaby said...

I made the Roasted Vegetable Lasagna tonight - simple and delicious! Thanks!

Sweet Pea Chef said...

You're welcome JerseyBaby!