Friday, March 7, 2008

FNB (Friday Night Bites)--Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ

Being married to a Southern Gentleman has greatly expanded my food horizons. Now I love all food southern, and thank him so much for introducing me to so many wonderful foods.

This is his recipe for a slow cooker Carolina Style Pulled Pork BBQ. When the weather is nice, he gets out his Weber Silver Bullet Smoker and puts a few pork butts on to smoke all day long.

Since we are supposed to get a huge snow storm today and tomorrow, this slow cooker recipe helps us channel the tastes and smells of summer without having to venture outside. R developed this recipe and I have to say it is amazing.

So put this recipe in your slow cooker, mix up some coleslaw and baked beans, and maybe even whip up a banana pudding. You will be happy, happy!Slow Cooker Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ
Make the rub:
2 T brown sugar
1 T paprika
2 t salt
1/2 black pepper

Combine and rub on a:
4-6 pound whole pork butt or shoulder

Place in the slow cooker:
2-3 onions, quartered
pork shoulder on top

Mix the sauce:
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
4 t worchester sauce
1 1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 1/2 t sugar
1/2 t dry mustard
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper

Combine and pour 1/4 of this mixture over the roast, saving the rest for serving the sandwiches.
Cook on low for 10-12 hours, or high 5-6 hours. Remove the roast, let cool a bit, and pull/shred with two forks (pork should just fall apart). Serve with remaining sauce.

8 comments:

Deep in the Heart said...

One of my all time faves of yours. I'm making chicken soup today since we too are having an unexpected cold snap. I was planning on chicken salad but am opting instead for a warm your tummy alternative.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Thanks Jenn.

We are having a cold snap too! They are saying we may get a foot of snow. I cannot believe it...I will actually believe it when I see it. Little R and I set up a snow gauge, so we will be able to measure the snow from inside!!

Amy said...

Sounds delicious! We're definitely going to make this soon.
Thanks!

Steel Magnolia said...

sounds amazing. we will be making it soon!!!! Thanks my friend!

The Mrs. said...

YUM!!! Hubby loooves pulled pork so I have to make this!

Slacker Mama said...

I'm definitely going to try this. John loves him some Carolina BBQ and I love me some butt in the slow cooker!

Madras and Martinis said...

I will be making this recipe this week...Sounds great...Thanks for the idea!

Laura said...

Oh God Bless you! I attempted a pulled pork slow-cooker meal last night, but I'm not really familiar with the slow-cooker... I like my oven. However, as my job is taking on a new role, I will need to rely more and more on said appliance. Anyhow, the meal last night was "good", but I really didn't like it. I think I was too frustrated with how it all came together. Thank you so much for such a detailed recipe! I will try again and conquer!