Friday, July 11, 2008

FNB Summer Rolls

I adore Summer Rolls. You may know them as Egg Rolls that haven't been given a hot bath in oil, but really, this is a shabby comparison because in my mind they are head and shoulders over a traditional Egg Roll.

Summer Rolls just taste, well, like summer. Fresh, crisp, alive... I once was intimidated by the idea of making them at home, but once I realized how simple they are, I make them with gusto. It is a classic Recipe-Free meal:

Summer Rolls

*Rice Papers (see second picture, back left)
*Rice Vermicelli Noodles
Fresh Herbs (we use a little bit of cilantro, fresh basil, chives and mint)
Thinly Sliced Vegetables (carrot sticks, bean sprouts, daikon, napa cabbage, even lettuce)
Cooked Shrimp, peeled

Take each Rice Paper and soak 10-15 seconds in a pan of hot water. I use a pie pan with very warm water. Press down gently and it will turn soft. Place on a plate, and put 3 shrimp in a row on one end of the circle, about one inch from the edge. Put some noodles, herbs and vegetables on top. Roll like a burrito, pulling the sides in and rolling up. The rice papers seal themselves.

It might take a couple practice rolls to get the hang of it but you will figure it out--it is easy peasy once you get going.

Traditionally you dip them in a peanut hoisin sauce, or you can use straight hoisin sauce.

*Rice Paper and Rice Vermicelli Noodles are available at most major supermarkets in the International Food area.

Serve them with a bit of steamed whole edamame for a fantastic summer dinner.

Have a sweet weekend,
SPC

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Agree with you about your comment on vegetables and terms of endearment for children!
Freddie my son would like to know if your children ( and you) would like to enter a competition we are holding to make the best face out of vegetables - we are marking reaching the end of the alphabet in our Great Big Veg challenge blog.
It would be l0ovely if you could join in!

Live.Love.Eat said...

OMgosh. I can't wait to make these. My husband and I have been ordering these at our favorite Thai restaurant in town for the past month. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Slacker Mama said...

Looks yummy. I might have to give those a whirl.

I had to giggle at the edamame because (1) there is no way that John would try it, but (2) my kids were psyched last week to have Organic Dora Edamame in their lunches.

JerseyBaby said...

These used to be a staple at our house, using tofu in place of the shrimp, but somehow they fell out of rotation. I'm excited to put them on this week's menu! Have a great weekend! Oh, and I thought you might enjoy my sister-in-law's recap of the 4th in Columbus: http://ohhenrysweetsadie.blogspot.com/2008/07/rain-rain-go-away.html. For all I know, you were side-by-side at the parade.

emstitt said...

I continue to be impressed with you. This is what you made your darling husband...I got City BBQ takeout...of course, it was his request. :)

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Erin, He probably would have preferred City BBQ if given the choice! :)

JerseyBaby said...

I made these (with tofu instead of rice) with Asian Napa Slaw tonight. Both were delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.

Kiki said...

Do you think I could sub out the shrimp for chicken, I don't care for shrimp. (Gasp, I know...but I have a funny texture thing going on.)

Sweet Pea Chef said...

kiki-You can sub chicken, pork, tofu, whatever you like!

JB--Glad you enjoyed the "inspiration!"