Monday, September 8, 2008

A Tropical Storm Cometh. Crab Dip Anyone?

The Sweet Peas are back, trying to re-enter our typical routine after a visit East that involved a speeding ticket (happily, not mine), boating, fishing, the beach, crab cakes (they just don't make 'em right this far from the Chesapeake Bay), a tropical storm, and tons of time in/on the water. Here are some pictures:
The picture of R&G was about 6 hours before Hanna really kicked up the ocean. Notice the waves to the left of G...this was nothing compared to the complete churning the ocean got with the full force of the storm. Seeing Hanna from this bird's eye view gave me a new respect for hurricanes. Amazing.

During Hanna's appearance at the beach, we decided to whip up some crab dip. I didn't have a recipe, but this is basically what I created. I am not sure if it was the fact that we were stuck inside and didn't have many other alternatives, but it sure did taste good to me!

Tropical Storm Crab Dip

8 0z crab meat (we used back fin)
8 oz cream cheese
2 T mayonnaise
1/4 c red onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
a few good shakes of Old Bay (probably about 1/4-1/2 t for all you measure-aholics out there)
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients except the parmesan cheese. Put in an oven safe dish and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

Bake 15 minute or so or until bubbly.

Deee-lish.

After all this fun in the sun (and some fun in the wind and rain), today has been a whirlwind of unpacking and all the chores that smack you in the face with the reality that vacation is really over. Our meals this week will rely heavily on the pantry, and whatever we can get out of the freezer.

Tomorrow R&G have orientation for school (G is doing a Mother's Morning Out on Wednesday AMs) and then Wednesday is the first day. Can I get a "woo hoo?"

Peas-
SPC

7 comments:

Slacker Mama said...

Welcome back! And have fun with your free time tomorrow!

Shannon said...

It looks like you had fun and experiencing the hurricane would be really interesting and scary for me since I hate storms. We are glad you are back and I know that we will enjoy our mornings off.

Shannon

Live.Love.Eat said...

Whoo Hoo. Welcome Back!!!! Your trip looked like a lotta fun and that crab dip sounds great. I used to make crab recipes often but now my fam isn't much into it. I think I got some bad crab once. Do you use the canned or Philips fresh like in the seafood dept????

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Steph--I use fresh as much as I can, but really, the canned works just great too! I only buy fresh when it is on sale.

Steel Magnolia said...

Welcome home! Looks like you survived Hanna also. Great pictures-I will definitely make that crab dip!

Mama in Training said...

I had a woo hoo this morning, myself (check out the blog). R&G are SOOOOOO cute!!! They're so big! (How MANY times has that been said: They're so big?" ;))

kala manik said...

https://kidwalkers1.blogspot.com/
https://kidwalkers1.blogspot.com/2019/08/some-healthy-homemade-best-teething.html