Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Super Bowl Detox Salad

Need a little lighter fare after the weekend Super Bowl? This salad is one of my rare posts on a recipe that really isn't kid friendly, but it is so divine, I had to share.

But first, a story: this recipe is based on a dish I tasted when SPH and I were in San Fransisco a few years ago. I ate it at this sweet little Italian restaurant that, for the life of me, I cannot remember its name. It was so simple, so fresh and flavorful. Every time I eat this salad, I recall a leisurely, wonderful dinner sans kids. Ahh...it is a nice memory.

Citrus and Fennel Salad

Two heads of butter lettuce
1 small head of radichio
3-4 oranges or clementines, peeled, and cut into segments
1 small head of fennel* (also may be called "anise" in your grocery store), thinly sliced
A few radishes, thinly sliced
A dozen or so parmesan curls (take a hunk of parmesan and shave off the curls with a vegetable peeler)

Dressing:
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Place the lettuce, radichio, oranges, fennel, radishes (if using) and parmesan in a big bowl, tossing well to mix.

Mix the dressing in a separate bowl, then toss the salad with the dressing.

Take a few of the fennel fronds (whispy top portion of the fennel) and chop them and sprinkly on top.

Serves 6-8 for an appetizer, 3-4 for a main dish.

*never tasted fennel? It has a hint of a black licorice to its taste. But don't worry, I can't stand black licorice, but love this salad.

SPC

2 comments:

Live.Love.Eat said...

This looks delish!!! Very refreshing!!!!

JerseyBaby said...

Are you SURE it doesn't taste like black licorice? Really, really sure, because if you are, I'll definitely try it. It looks and sounds great.

And I love that it brings back such great memories for you.