Wednesday, June 3, 2009

And so summer begins...

Have you been sniffing the grilling in the air? Along with the peonies, roses and other flowers in bloom, I've been smelling a lot of grillin' going on in my neck of the woods. Yesterday we added to the barbecuing symphony...

We arrived home late afternoon Sunday from our ten day trip back East. Tired, but ready for a home cooked meal, I raided the freezer and pantry to see what we might be able to whip up.

Then I remembered to check our garden too, and found our cilantro growing like crazy. Inspired by our plethora of cilantro, I pulled out some frozen steaks and started them quick thawing in some cold water in our sink. With the cilantro and some lime and jalapeno that somehow survived the extended stay in our fridge, SPH whipped up some cilantro sauce for the steaks. A can of baked beans, peaches and some frozen sweet potato fries, and we were set for dinner without a late day trip to the grocery.

Cilantro Sauce for Steaks

1 cup of cilantro, loosely packed
Juice of half of a lime
Half of a jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup almonds, toasted
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Greek style yogurt (or just use plain yogurt)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all in a food processor and whirl until smooth. Serve over steaks, or whatever is coming off your grill.

SPC

1 comment:

Live.Love.Eat said...

oH me OH my. Looks divine. That steak is cooked perfectly for me and I am loving the sauce!!! Hope you've been well!!!